Sifu saw a weapon shop.
"Of course, best thriving business in the mists of war." - he thought
He decided to take a closer look.
The shop was filled with all kind of weaponry.
From archers to assassins.
It had it all.
It had it all.
He approached the counter.
There was tall guy behind it. All dressed in leather, and heavy gloves. He had a beard and a moustache. Looked in his mid fourties.
- Good day to you! - said the guy behind the counter - How may I be of service?
- I wanted to browse through your weapons - said Sifu - if that is acceptable
- Oh, browse away dear customer - said the moustache guy - browse away, don't let anything stop you! If you like something, let me know right away. How about this sword? Latest elven steel!
He handed him a fine made sword. Engraved with jewels.
"Very good fake" - thought Sifu as he picked the sword in his hand.
- As I said - continued the shopkeeper - It's the finest elven steel we have in the city!
- It's off - said Sifu
- Huh.. I'm sorry? - asked the shopkeeper with slight nudge of anger
- It's off - repeated Sifu - the balance of the weapon is off. The tilt is heavier that it should be. Which makes you miss. A lot.
- Ah, yes, yes - said the shopkeeper - a master swordsman we have here! I understand! I understand! How about this one!
- Too heavy and too pricey - said Sifu - that's a nobleman's weapon, only for the looks.
The shopkeeper started to blink quicker. A vein appeared at his forehead.
- Yes, yes.. - he mumbled - the customer is always right! And this? This is the finest of the finest! Sword made by the dwarves from the Mountain!
- Which have been driven out by the orcs - said Sifu - 4 years ago. But I can see why you were fooled, the sword is indeed well made fake.
The shopkeeper got all red.
- How dare you! - he said - I will not stand for... !
- Sorry I've taken your precious time my good man - said Sifu - I will be on my merry way. Good day to you.
And he left before the angry shopkeeper could finish his angry monologue.
As he continued to walk around the city, he finally arrived at the place he was looking for.
Eerie music was coming out.
There was the smell of alcohol and cheap whores in the air.
The drunkards were wobbling out of the inn, while the gals were singing with the sailors, about the adventures to come and the booze that was gone. Monster that were slain, and girls to be wed.
"Ah, home" - he thought "Master Papius wasn't lying after all. It does look good"
Suddenly he heard a familiar voice behind him.
- Hundred bearded whores! - the voice screamed - If it isn't my old pal Sifu!
- Jaren! - said Sifu - What are you doing here old buck!
- Where 'theres cheap booze and cheaper whores, Jaren is always there - the dwarf replied
- Ah, why am I even asking - laughed Sifu
- What brings you to this wretched place, dear friend? - asked the dwarf - I bet it's not for the same reasons as me.
- You are right, though not entirely - said Sifu - I do enjoy the occasional debauchery.
- Don't we all? - said the dwarf - But really, what is the purpose of your visit.
- I have my reasons - said Sifu
- You always were the mysterious one - replied Jaren
- Why aren't you inside the inn? - asked Sifu - what's more interesting out here?
- Ah! Right on the money! - said Jaren - I almost forgot about her. Very observant, very observant.
- I try. - said sifu - So?
- Well take a looksie over here! - said the dwarf and pointed behind the barrels.
There was a girl standing there, really beautiful.
Dressed in fancy clothes and jewels.
Hair well done.
Wasn't a regular at the inn. You could tell.
- I see - said Sifu - that would keep me away from the inn as well.
- Right? - laughed the dwarf - you always did have the good eye!
- She doesn't really look that much interested in you though - said Sifu
- Ermh... - coughed the dwarf - I am still working on that! Never underestimate old Jaren Bolt! The lady vanquisher!
- Right - said Sifu - Wasn't it Jaren Bolt the bad gambler?
- Come on now, that was just few bad investments - said Jaren - you can not judge a person entirely by that, besides.. it was a long time ago.
- I see - said Sifu - indeed it was a long time ago
- So how about you? - said the dwarf - Have you met with her?
- Her? - asked Sifu surprised - What do you mean?
- Well you know, your fancy lady magician - said the dwarf - I assumed that's why you were really here... or was I mistaken.
Sifu had that expressionless face.
Then he got pale.
- Oh.. - said the dwarf - So you didn't know..
- She... she is here? - asked SIfu with a trembling voice - In the city?
- Well - said the dwarf - she was couple of nights ago. It looked like she was waiting for someone. When I saw you, I thought she was waiting for you.
- Where is now..? - asked Sifu
- She went to the lighthouse at the edge of the city - answered the dwarf - apparently there was some kind of magic field over there, or so she said. You know she was never good at conversation.
- Yes.. - said Sifu - Indeed..
- So..? - asked the dwarf - Are you going to see her?
- I don't have anything to say to her. - replied Sifu
- Come on old friend - gasped the dwarf - we both know that's not the case. There is too much history between the two of you. Go and talk to her!
- Maybe I will - replied Sifu - right now I need a drink!
- Amen to that! - laughed the dwarf as they went inside the inn.