Behind the house the elf saw piles and piles of building materials. It looked endless.
In front of a little wooden hut he saw a man wearing work clothing.
- Hello - said the elf when he approached - The Master send me to talk to Santiago, I am to work here until I have proven myself worthy of his daughter.
The guy turned around and smiled.
- I am Santiago - he said with a big grin on his face - So.. you are another puppe... I mean worker for the Master huh?
- Yes - said the elf - I am to start immediately.
- Well! - said Santiago - In this case you better get to it. You can see all the work that needs to be done around here, I will be instructing you every day, please follow my instructions.
- Yes sir - said the elf
And so it began.
Everyday work, from dusk till dawn.
Excruciating work and mundane tasks.
"Time couldn't pass slower' thought the elf every morning.
They would use him for every possible task. Whatever needed to be done, he was the guy to do it.
Every now and then, the elf would feel someone watching him from the house. Either from the little window upstairs or the one in the kitchen, but he would never see anyone.
The feeling wasn't sinister like with the Master. It was good and warm feeling.
"I am starting to imagine things from overworking" thought the elf.
Few months passed and the work was nearing its end for the season.
One day the elf approached the Master.
- For the past few months I have done everything you asked of me - stated the elf - I fulfilled my part of the deal, it is time you do the same. Let me meet your daughter!
The Master didn't look happy. "How was he able to survive all this work!?" he thought "I was sure it will kill him, like all the others"
- Indeed you did what was asked of you - said the Master slowly - ... but I have one more task for you
- What is it? - asked the elf - Tell me and let's be done with it.
- While I was visiting my grandfather's grave the other day in the necropolis up on that hill - explained the Master - I lost my cane. It is a family heirloom and it's very precious to me. I need you to retrieve it for me.
- I will do it - said the elf obediently - after that you will let me meet your daughter?
- Yes, yes.. of course - agreed the Master - just bring it back and she will be waiting for you!
"what a fool!" thought the Master. "Once he touches that cane it will be all over for him, it's cursed!"
And so the elf ventured into the necropolis.
"where could it be?" he thought "I looked everywhere for the damn thing!"
Suddenly, he saw a flickering in the underground water tunnel that was passing through the necropolis.
"that must be it!" he thought.
He dove in and swam towards the light reflections.
"there it is!" he thought "it doesn't look like a cane, but it must be it"
He picked it up and hurried back. He felt a little sting, but he thought it must've been from the dirty water.
When he exited the necropolis he felt a bit dizzy.
He didn't know what was causing it. But his resolve was strong and he was determined to complete his task and meet the girl, so he ventured back to the Master's house.
- I did what you asked of me - said the elf - here is your family heirloom.
"Impossible!" thought the Master "how is he even alive!? The curse should've killed him already! Darn elves!"
- I give you the cane - continued the elf - I want to meet your daughter, no more delaying, all requirements have been met.
- You foolish little elf! - the Master finally lost it - This was no cane, it's a cursed wand! You will be gone from this world soon, leaving no trace behind! Only true love can cure the curse and you will never find that before your time runs out! Hahaha! It's over for yo...
- Enough father!! - someone interrupted
The elf felt the warm feeling and the gaze that was watching him all these months. When he turned around, he saw her. The most gorgeous of things. "A beautiful angel" he thought.
- I will not let you continue this father! - said the girl - I ... I love this man!
The elf suddenly felt the heaviness he was feeling from the necropolis being lifted as he approached the girl and bowed.
- You are the most beautiful girl I have ever had the pleasure of gazing upon - said the elf with a tremble in his voice - I have come to..
- Yes - said the girl
- Yes..? - asked the elf confused
- Yes, I will marry you - said the girl - I've been watching you all this time and I feel the goodness in you. I feel that I want to be with you.
"is this it?" thought the elf "Is this true love? What is this feeling I have?"
- You... - stuttered the elf - You have just made me the happiest elf on the planet!